30.5.08

Pientä luksusta / Small luxuries



30.5.2008

Te siellä kotosuomessa nautitte ihanasta, lämpimästä kesäsäästä, täällä minä toivon syksyä – ensimmäistä kertaa elämässä! Tämä kuumuus alkaa jo uuvuttamaan, en tiedä jos edes viitsin mennä altaalle ottamaan aurinkoa, kun täällä ilmastoidussa kämpässä on niin paljon ihanampaa! Klo on 13.45 ja ulkona asteita 46! Aamuisinkin on jo n 33 astetta, siis klo 6 aamulla, ja töihin tullessa on jo aivan hiki. Koko viime viikon podin päänsärkyä, kun ei vain tullut juotua tarpeeksi. Meidän salikin on niin lämmin lasten takia. Mutta koko ajan ei voi juoda, ja mitä enemmän juo, sitä enemmän pissattaa, ja jos seison 4h leikkauksessa, en voi käydä vessassa. Hankalaa. Työpäivän aikana juon nyt n 2l vettä, mutta täytyy nostaa se 2.5 litraan. Kotona juon sitten vielä vähän alle litran! Tämä vesi täällä on juotavaa, mutta koska se sisältää niin paljon mineraaleja, se ei maistu hyvälle. Joten juomavesi ostetaan kaupasta. Halpaa se on, ostetaan 5 gallonan (eli 19l) pöniköitä, ne maksaa 7 rialia, eli 1,20€. Ja kotiin kuljetettuna.
Meillä kävi nyt sitten ensimmäisen kerran siivoojat tällä viikolla. Aikoja sitten yksi meidän kompleksin filippiino siivooja kysyi, tarvitsemmeko siivoojaa. Jonkin aikaa mietittyä päätettiin että; kyllä. Mutta sitten en nähnyt siivooja aikoihin, kunnes sitten tällä viikolla. Kysyin, oliko tarjous vielä voimassa, ja hän sanoi että ”tulenko tänään?” Hän tuli kaverinsa kanssa tuntia myöhemmin. He siivosivat melkein 1.5h, ja maksu oli 150 rialia, 26,30€! Joten he ovat nyt sitten meidän vaki-siivoojia. Ihanan luksusta! Katsotan nyt riittääkö joka toinen viikko vai sittenkin joka viikko. Onhan se vähän noloa kun ne siivoaa, mutta toisaalta, niiden palkka on niin huono, että tuo meille niin pikkusumma on heille iso.
Mä olen vähän ihmetellyt, kun mun blogissa on toi kohta, joka näyttää mistä kukin on mun blogissa käynyt, ja joku on käynyt Punjabista, Intiasta. Tietääksen en tunne ketään joka on siellä. Mun blogin pitäisi olla ”googlaamaton”, joten vai ne jolla on osoite pääsee tätä lukemaan. Olen kyllä sanonut että osoitteen saa antaa kavereille, eikä mua siis mitenkään haittaa, ihmettelen vain. Vai onko joku IT nero hakkeroinut tän blogin. Olen muuten muuttanut ”comments” kohtaa niin , ettei tarvitse rekisteröityä, jos haluaa kommentoida. En tiennyt että oli mahdollista. Joten, jos joku tästä asiasta tietää, niin kommentoikaa. Ja saa muutkin ;-)
Nyt on ollut kaksi aika mukavaa viikkoa töissä, kun meidän ärsyttävän inhottava Libanonilaishoitaja on ollut lomalla. Joten odotan huomista kauhulla. Muutenkin viikon ensimmäinen työpäivä on niin inhottava, ja sitten meidän ilkein kirurgikin leikkaa silloin ja nyt sitten tuokin tulee takasin lomalta… Onneksi mun lomaan on enää 4 viikkoa!
Yksi asia mikä tuolla töissä ärsyttää ihan suunnattomasti on se miten aina syytetään toisia, aina yritetään löytää syyllinen ja kirjoitetaan toisista ”incident report” (”virhetapahtuma”). Solidaarisuus osastojen välillä puuttuu kokonaan. Esim kun eräälle pikkupotilaalle laitettiin peritoneaali dialyysi kateri ja sitä testattiin huuhtelemalla vatsaa huoneenlämpöisellä nesteellä (jonka hoiti siis dialyysihoitaja) niin potilaan lämpötila laski jonnekkin 33 asteeseen. Silloin anestesialääkärin suurin ongelma vaikutti olevan se, että heräämö tulee tekemään hänestä virheraportin, ei se että potilasparan lämpötila laski! Tämä totta kai oli iso asia, mutta välillä pienistäkin asioita tehdään raportteja, kuten kuulemma esim heräämö on tehnyt, kun potilaan ”likaisia” potilaspaperin kansia on kuljetettu potilaan sängyn päällä heräämöön! Sängyn päässä ei ole koria, vaan ne pitäisi laittaa sängyn alle hyllylle. Myös meidän toinen ärsyttävä kirurgi teki meistä virheraportin, kun hänen mielestä vaihto kesti liian kauan. Jos vaihto kestää 30 min, silloin se merkitään koneelle viiveenä, mutta meidän vaihto kesti 17 min, ja sekin sen takia että anestesiapuoli ei ollut valmis! Yleensä vaihtoaika on n 10 min!


30.5.2008

This heat is really starting to get me. For the first time in my life, I’m wishing for autumn! I guess I should go and lie in the pool on my air mattress, but I prefer to stay indoors in the nice air-conditioned flat! It’s now 1.45 pm and it’s 46°c (115°F)outside. In the mornings, at 6 am it’s already 33°c (91°F). By the time I get to work, I’m already sweating! The whole last week I was suffering from head aches, as I wasn’t drinking enough. Our theatre is quite warm because of the kids, and you just can’t drink all the time. Especially as you’re standing scrubbed in a 4 hour operation. I drink approximately 2 liters during the work day, but I guess I’ll have to increase that by 0.5 liter. When I come home, I drink nearly another liter. The water here is drinkable, but as it contains so much minerals, it doesn’t taste good. So, we buy our water in 5 gallon (19 liter) containers, and it’s cheap, only 7 rials (1.20€) each, and delivered to our home.
This week we had cleaners come for the first time. I saw an philippino cleaner outside, and she asked if we needed one. So, we decided to give it a go, and now we’ll have them come every or every other week, have yet to decide that. There was 2 of them, and they cleaned for 1.5 hours. It cost 150 rials (26,30€), not much for us, but even though it was a bit embarassing, having them clean for us, it’s a big addition to theit lousy salaries. But how wonderfully luxurious for us!
Now, I’ve been wondering, as I have this gadget in my blog, telling me from where somebody has been to my blog, and there’s somebody from Punjab, India. As far as I know, I don’t know anybody there. I did allow people to give my blog adress to their friends, and I don’t mind at all, I’m just curious. My blog shouldn’t be ”googleble”, so i’m just wondering if it’s some Indian IT guy who’s hackered into it? Anyway, I changed my settings so that you don’t have to sign in to comment (didn’t know it was possible), so please comment, if you know anything about this. And anybody else who wants to comment on anything; feel free!
Now I’ve had 2 quite nice weeks at work, as our horrible Lebanese nurse has been on a 2 week vacation, but now she’s back. Don’t look forward to tomorrow at all, as it’s our meanest surgeon working on Saturdays as well, and the first workday of the week is also the worst anyway…
One thing that really annoys me at work is the blaming of each other. The guilty person is always to be found, even to the most meneal thing and incident reports are written, all the time. There’s absolutely no solidarity between wards. For example, this little kid had a peritoneal dialysis catheter put in, and the dialysis nurse used room tempered liquids and the kids temperature dropped to 33°c. The biggest worry for the anaesthetist seemed to be the fact, that recovery would do an incident report on him, not the poor kid being hypothermic! Of course, this was an big issue, but sometimes they do reports on tiny things, like, for example, apparently recovery has been doing reports on OR nurses, who bring the patient to recovery with the patients ”dirty” file on top of patients bed. There’s no basket in the end of the bed for it, but it should be put under the bed, in a tray. The other day our other nasty surgeon made an incident report on us nurses, because he thought the delay between 2 patients was too long! The ”delay” was in fact 17 min, and it’s not officially an delay until it’s 30 min. Usually our changes take approximately 10 min, but this time anaesthesia wasn’t ready!

7 comments:

Blog reader said...

I AM CROSS "."

calling a Pakistani an Indian, is like an insult. anyway, i am sure you said it not knowingly.

OK, i am from Lahore its a 2nd largest city in Pakistan (the largest one Karachi) and Lahore is in Punjab. I saw your blog while just surfing the blogs. and i am not an IT guy nor its any hacking.
didn't you noticed i had left a comment at your previous post?

it just seems great, to see a blog from Riyadh,
i am reading your blog and will be seeing it... keep blogging, and post photos too.
you didn't tell about your family with which you are living, and where are you from and where you live in the Riyadh.

and post your email, if its OK,

see you....... :)

Cheers!

(Proud Pakistani)

Soile said...

Okay, sorry that my geography is not as good as it should be... Nope, didn't notice an earlier comment, wil try to find it. Anyway, you are welcome to read my blog, but I really thought that my blog was private, for safety reasons. But, I'm glad that you are enjoying it, but I will not disclose any information about me, sorry!

Blog reader said...

Assalam-o-Alikum
Thanks for your reply,

@ safty and information: Thats absolutely OK,

@ private blog: first, thanks for the "welcome" but since you look concerned, and u just made your profile private too, I say: please don't be. consider me left and gone, (will not be reading your blog anymore)


with regards.

Allah Hafiz

Soile said...

Wa Aleikum Salaam!
No, it's ok, you can read it, it's just some people in this country I'm worried about, as I'm doing a LOT of illeagal things here (things that are not illeagal anywhere else though)!

Blog reader said...

ok, i am back :)

Blog reader said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Soile said...

Okay, shukran, will check it out!